Friday, February 13, 2009

Could be on my way...

Yoga is one of those things that I know other people are super into, but I just for the life of me haven't gotten it. The climbing gym that I belonged to for a while had yoga classes included so I tried to see what the fuss was all about and took an hour and a half class that I thought was the biggest waste of time in my entire life. I considered this the end of the yoga experimentation.

Recently I've declared war on cortisol in my body which has led me to decisions to cut out caffeine and alcohol among other things, and which made me decide to give yoga another try. I took a class at work, and had almost as bad of an experience as my first class, but I was going to stay the course and at least try it a few times, maybe I was missing something.

As luck would have it, a friend of mine sent out an email the next day. She'd recently gotten certified as a yoga instructor and was offering free instruction for the month of February to help her learn to be a better teacher. I happily took her up on the offer and went over last night for some private instruction. It was a world of difference. Instead of following a fast-paced class and trying to imitate the instructor and people around me, I actually had the time to learn the poses, how they should feel, and how to focus on my breathing at the same time. After we were done I felt amazing. I think that the next time I take a class I will get so much more out of it, and I've stopped bad-mouthing yoga. ;)

No comments: